9 November 2012

Friday List!

Sarah's List:

Couldn't raise my children without African women or coffee. Never knew they were so inextricably linked. Of course one of the best things on earth has women's hands all over it.

Karen Castillo Farfán/NPR


Dealt with these guys every time I stepped foot outside our Cairo apartment. Hamdallah for spray paint...solely for "identification purposes," of course.

Tara Todras-Whitehill for The New York Times


On that same note, a few years ago this genius project created HarassMap to plot places in the city where women had been harassed. I can't imagine there's much un-plotted territory left.

A HarassMap Google Map shows the ares with high concentrations of sexual abuse incidents. (Image from Facebook)


Tina Fey's A Mother's Prayer for Her Child. I dare you not to laugh. Or cry. An excerpt:

And when she one day turns on me and calls me a Bitch in front of Hollister, 
Give me the strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a cab in front of her friends, 
For I will not have that Shit. I will not have it.



 If you want to utter a bad name in Congo, it's SNEL (Société Nationale d'Electricité). Our electric company. A bit of insight into Congo business as usual.



The real story of the most-liked photo of all time. Yikes, those arms!

Scout Tufankjian for Obama for America


And what a week it was. Thank you for making our lives a bit easier abroad. 14 Foreign Policy perspectives on Obama. And a skip straight to the African opinion. Dare I say Obama should take a few notes from George W? PEPFAR's changed a lot of lives.

Photo from ForeignPolicy.com


Jill's List:
  
Our water filter crapped out yesterday.  We have this blue plastic bucket that looks fairly ghetto, but is actually an impressive purifying machine...when the filters don't have holes.  So, I took my medicine with Perrier last night.  Tres weird.  We might switch to these nifty little, life-saving, packets while we wait for new parts.

Photo from Cincinnati.com

A little too excited about shopping here this Christmas. 


Photo from the blog Itswhatiminto

   
Really interesting photo.  The ad as art.  Who knew that I would find the idea of the Marlboro Man  in my living room attractive?

More information about this image here.

This seems like the perfect piece of typographical quote art for a Middle School classroom.  (We just celebrated the opening of the first of our campus' environmentally friendly classrooms.  I'm looking for ways to spruce up the pristine white walls...)

Buy this print here!

Joanna! (blushing ensues)

Watching these videos of folks in Washington, Maine, Maryland, and Minnesota this week at the moments they learned that the voting public supported equal marriage rights for all people made me cry in my office.  Reminder to self:  Do not watch sentimental YouTube clips during lunch break.

Photo from the West Seattle blog.

And.  I'm headed to Accra in March for a little business trip.  I've never had a business trip before.  Let alone to Ghana.  Feeling quite excited.  But not nearly as excited as Mama Vida.  She is from Ghana and is already writing down addresses of family members that I absolutely must visit...

Image from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...